Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A Month of Milestones

On Sunday Bella reached her one-month date! And on Monday she got her first shot. Since birth, she's grown four inches and gained almost three pounds. She's also gone on a road trip, celebrated Christmas and New Year's, met all her great-grandparents, dealt with jaundice, blocked tear ducts and her mom's general clumsiness, went to Cradle Roll class at my mom's church, and has started to sleep at four hour stretches, just enough for me to start entering Deep Sleep mode riiiiight before she wakes up hungry again.

And for me? Well, I've been learning more patience. And biting my tongue. And I'm still learning how to nurse. I've learned that if she's already crying, you might as well do the diaper and clothing changes that also make her cry, just to get it out of the way. I'm learning there's a different cry for every annoyance, from "I'm hungry," to "You didn't feed me enough, dummy," to just, "Hold me." I've found you can go from extreme annoyance and helplessness to contentment with one smile or quiet moment that lets you know you did right.

I'm so happy that we do have family to help. Thanks to them, I can nap or eat without interruption. Plus, my mom also finished our laundry last night while I slept for almost five hours. That is a great feeling.

I know that, as achievements go, we've only just started the marathon. And now, I hear her stirring again, so I'm signing off till next naptime.

No comments:

Post a Comment